Are you looking for an online consultation for Gout? FastDocNow is here to help!
Learn all about the condition and how FastDocNow can help.
What is Gout?
Gout is a type of inflammatory arthritis that can be excruciatingly painful. Excessively high uric acid levels begin to build up in your foot joints (particularly affecting your big toe). Gout attacks or flares are characterized by swelling, pain, tenderness, and inflammation in one or more joints of your foot.
Symptoms of Gout
Gout flares can begin suddenly and last a few days or even a few weeks. These symptoms can go into remission for a few days or even months. You might not see or feel any of the symptoms between these gout flares.
If you are suffering from acute Gout, you might experience symptoms like;
- Severe joint pain
- Limited joint mobility
- Lasting discomfort in the big toe or other affected joints in the body
- Intense inflammation and redness near the affected joints
- The affected joint feels excessively warm. Gout-affected joints can feel as if they are on fire.
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, schedule an online consultation for Gout with our doctors at FastDocNow.
Am I at Risk for Gout?
Men are at a higher risk of developing Gout. However, most menopausal women can develop Gout as there’s an increase in uric acid levels in their bodies post-menopause.
You might be at risk of developing Gout if;
- You are overweight, and your body produces excessive levels of uric acid.
- You consume a diet that is rich in red meat and beverages that are laden with fruit, sugar, or fructose. Alcohol consumption can also increase your chances of developing Gout.
- In some people, surgery or even vaccination can trigger the onset of gout flares.
- Having a family history of developing Gout can also put you at risk for this condition.
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart and kidney diseases, and metabolic syndromes can contribute to the development of Gout.
- Certain medications such as aspirin, ACE inhibitors, beta-blockers, and hypertension controlling diuretics can increase uric acid levels and lead to gout flares.
If you suffer from any of these risk factors, schedule an online consultation for Gout with FastDocNow.
Gout is a highly treatable condition; however, it can lead to other medical complications if left untreated.
- Joint damage: Regular inflammation and swelling of the affected joints can lead to stiffness and damage in joints or cartilage.
- Tophi: When urate crystals begin to accumulate and harden under the skin. If left untreated, tophi can lead to intense pain and joint or cartilage deformity.
- Kidney stones: An excessive amount of urate crystals can build up in the kidney and lead to kidney stones.
- Kidney disease or Kidney failure: If Gout is left untreated and stones are allowed to build up in the kidney, it can lead to scarring and even kidney failure.
Prevention and Precaution
If you are at risk of developing Gout, your doctors at FastDocNow will recommend you to;
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Drink more water and fluids
- Exercise to lose weight or maintain healthy body weight
- Limit the consumption of Gout inducing foods
- Prescribe you medication that lowers uric acid levels in the body.
Your doctor at FastDocNow might recommend switching to a healthy diet and lifestyle to treat gout flares and keep them in remission.
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Stay hydrated
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Lowering the consumption of Gout triggering foods like red meat, shellfish, sugar-rich foods, and beverages, etc.
- Increasing the uptake of foods that lower uric acid levels in the body, such as fresh or frozen cherries and low-fat dairy products.
Your healthcare providers at FastDocNow might prescribe you;
- NSAID drugs like ibuprofen and corticosteroids to manage gout flare pain,
- Drugs like allopurinol and pegloticase to lower uric acid levels in the blood.
Your online consultation for Gout will help us determine the cause of your condition and prescribe the right treatment plan.
Our rheumatologists will ensure that all of your concerns get addresses and you receive a premium quality, effective gout treatment from the comfort of your home.
Book an online consultation for Gout with us and start your gout treatment today!